The Project: Major earthworks project to remove the downstream buttress and replace the existing dam filters, raise the clay core and reconstruct the Brady's Lake Road.
Location: Lake Binney, Tasmania
Client: Hydro Tasmania
Contract Value: $5.3m
Construction Period: November 2011 - May 2012
Project Manager: Brendan Moore
Project Foreman: Tim Walter
Scope of Works:
- Construct temporary roads to be used during construction
- Prepare stockpile sites
- Removal of 65,000m3 of the existing rockfill and transition layer on the downstream face. Supply and install a two layer filter (Zone 2A & Zone 2B) on the dam core and foundation.
- Supply and install rockfill Zone 3A, place rockfill Zone 3B to the design profile as the weighting material.
- Raise the existing clay core.
- Operate existing quarries in the local area to supply 2B, 3A and rockfill.
- Reinstatement of the dam crest road, installation of guardrail along downstream face.
- Site re-instatement.
- Working in a remote location
- Re-design to accommodate inaccurate as-constructed information
- Management of Quarries and Quarry supplies
- Working on an operational dam
- Fatigue management